Wednesday, October 28, 2009

PCOS

My Monday appointment resulted in the diagnosis of PCOS. I am not overly upset by this as I was already fairly certain this was what I was facing.

J and I had a good visit with the new doctor. We talked a lot about our experiences with charting and OPK's. The pro's and con's of each and how we'll want to use them going forward. He explained how my body should be working and how it is currently malfunctioning (my word, not his). We talked about different medications, their use, and which he thought would be best for me. Once we figured that part out we talked game plan. Here's the gist:

I am currently taking progesterone for 10days, or until my period starts, whichever is first. CD's 5-9 I will take 50mg of Clomid. Day's 16-24 (I believe... I left my directions at home! lol) I will be back on the progestrone. If I get knocked up, great! If not, then he wants to see me back in for an ultrasound sometime between CD1-5 (early December). He'll check for any cysts, blockages, and/or tumors. Should that come back good we'll continue with the Clomid for another two cycles. If we're not successful within the first three months (and there was nothing alarming like tumors, etc) we'll check in again. J will get a SA at that point. We'd probably go another 3 months with the potential for mid-cycle check ins (for ultrasounds) and more monitoring.

During this first month my only monitoring will be to use the OPK's and Charting. OPK's to best time intercourse and charting to be reassured that I did actually ovulate.

So, that's the gameplan! I actually feel much better to have that behind me. Our doctor did a good job giving us the facts, but still reassuring us that this is fairly common, that we're otherwise healthy, and most importantly he was confident that we could fix it.

Summer 2010 baby? Sounds like a good plan to me. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm very glad you were prepared and have a game plan now. Wishing you lots of luck!

    ReplyDelete