Sunday, March 27, 2011

A New Chapter

I don't typically make new years resolutions. And I'm not really certain if that is what this was, but it's the best I can describe it. I dubbed 2011 - The Year of Me.

After focusing on nothing but TTC for two and a half years, I lost myself. I lost that bit that made me, me. It was time again to focus on losing weight, getting healthy, returning to a more positive state of mind, working on my relationship, eliminating stress in my life, and mostly - finding my happiness once again.

Part of what was causing me stress was my job. I have been a manager at a financial services company for the last 4 1/2 years. With 13 employees and my own set of duties, I was constantly on the go. Being busy isn't what bothered me. In fact, it is probably the only part of my job I enjoyed. But, I wasn't being challenged and I'd stopped growing personally or professionally. I was so busy worrying about everyone else and their goals, that I'd put myself on the back burner. If I was even on the stove at all.

In light of 2011 being The Year of Me, that needed to change. I am proud to announce that on Monday (tomorrow), I am starting a new job with my company! A fresh start. It is a completely different line of work, so I have a lot to learn, but I am more than ready for the challenge. There are three major highlights of this new position that I'd like to point out...

#1- It is a fresh start in an area of work I am genuinely interested in.
#2- I get to ditch my cube for an office - with. a. door.
#3- I no longer have any direct reports. That means no more performance evaluations or employee relations issues! (...insert sweet sight of relief...)

Monday marks the start of a new chapter and another item in the win column for me. I am really happy with the progress I've made so far this year. I still have work to do, don't get me wrong. But, all too often I find myself focusing on what we don't have. The baby we haven't brought home. I need to do better at stopping for a moment to give myself some credit for what I have accomplished in a few short months.

My relationship is stronger than it has ever been.
I have lost 24 lbs since the beginning of the year.
I am regularly seeing an acupuncturist to help manage my stress.
I have planned an amazing trip of a lifetime.
Slowly I am still working to eliminate clutter, get organized, and thus stress from my home.

And now... I have replaced a job that caused me anxiety and a great deal of stress and unhappiness, with one that brings me hope, challenge, and the return of my desire to work hard.

If these are the lessons that the higher-powers-that be wanted me to learn by requiring we go through this infertility struggle, I hope they're paying attention. I'm working hard, and I hope to soon be rewarded.

What positive changes have you made in your life? What would you like to commit yourself to now?

6 comments:

  1. This is such an empowering post!!! I'm glad to hear about your new position! All the desired changes you were seeking to better yourself are coming true. That's wonderful! Lots of people want change, but never make the effort to see it through, so I'm quite proud of you! :) Hopefully, all the lessons you're learning through this self-enlightenment will help you down the line as you someday become a mother. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're making me feel very... lazy. LOL.

    You've accomplished so much this year already - I'm impressed. Lots of great changes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job, love! You deserve all of this and so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an amazing list of accomplishments in such a short amount of time. Great job!

    I have been all about ME year too. Thus - my Project Happy.

    I have begun my weight loss journey.
    I planned a vacation for May to destress.
    I have begun looking into my first house purchase.
    And I am trying to do something for myself each and every day (or a few times a week).

    I'm glad that others are catching on to this much needed ME time.

    MissConception

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! You totally sound like you're on the right track and I hear you on needing to refocus a bit. I wrote a similar post today myself. It's really easy to get lost in infertility and I give you a ton of credit for being able to see the big picture and make positive change in your life. Good luck with the new job!!

    ICLW#137

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - what great successes! And we're only 3 months into the year. I started a new job last Monday too, so far it's been a great change for me. I hope yours will be too!

    ReplyDelete