Friday, June 4, 2010

Why do bad things happen to the best of people?

A former coworker, and friend, got some bad news yesterday. Her breast cancer is back. This is the third time…

She is taking today to get her thoughts and ‘stuff’ together and tomorrow she starts an aggressive treatment. And if she calls it aggressive after all she’s been through, I cannot even begin to imagine.

She is such an amazing person. She is what I would call a quiet force. She doesn’t over-share, or talk endlessly (like me), but she listens and is empathetic. Our team never even knew she was going through treatment last time because she set herself aside and focused on their (menial) problems instead. She could have her world falling apart and she would still ask you how your day was going and listen while you complained about your dog keeping you up all night. That’s just the kind of lady she is.

When she left our company to move across the state with her family, I cried. So did she. She was really the only person I relied on here. I knew I could always talk to her and she would give me advice. She mentored me and encouraged me. She always knew if something was off. She was my peer, but almost my ‘work mom’. I did, and still do, look up to her. If I can be half as good a person as she is, I will consider myself and those around me lucky.

If you can, please send my friend your positive thoughts and prayers. She’s one of the good ones.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete